While the cold season seems like it’s already been going on for much too long, its impact on our heating bill is just starting. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly lower those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Working to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a buzz at 478-202-3170. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Macon weather.