Whether you enjoy winter or desire the warmer months in Macon, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a big impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Air Temperature Control can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Air Temperature Control in Macon a call to get started. Contact our team at 478-202-3170 or arrange an appointment with us online.